Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 1997 19:28:34 +0100
From:      James Raynard <james@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        Michael Elbel <mwe@consol.de>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Are Kudos ok on this list?

On Mon, Oct 13, 1997 at 01:47:42PM +0200, Michael Elbel wrote:

> But then we've been through that discussion before. Maybe someone
> could write up a couple of arguments with regards to freely available
> vs. costs nothing.

Here's something I wrote about 18 months ago (complete with SGML tags!)

<sect1>
  <heading> Is FreeBSD better than XYZ commercial system?</heading>
    Again, the decision as to which is better will be influenced by what
    you want to use them for, but some general points can be made:-

   <itemize>

   <item> FreeBSD is available free of charge, commercial systems are
          not. (Note - managers often regard this as a disadvantage of
          FreeBSD, surprisingly enough).

   <item> Commercial systems come with the phone number of the Support
          Desk, FreeBSD does not.

   <item> Commercial systems come with a shelf-full of manuals (or, more
          usually these days, a documentation CDROM in a proprietary
          format that you can only read on a working system). FreeBSD
          does not, unless of course you count the source code...

   <item> Professional consultants are easier to find for commercial
          systems.

   <item> FreeBSD is supported on the Internet by an enthusiastic
          community of users, including the system developers. Commercial
          systems are not. (*)

   <item> FreeBSD supplies features such as TCP/IP or a C compiler as
          standard. Many commercial systems do not and charge extra for
          them.

   <item> FreeBSD allows as many users on a machine as you like (until
          the system collapses under the load!) Commercial systems
          require you to buy extra licences if you add more users.

   <item> Most popular free Unix applications come with the base FreeBSD
          system, or can be added easily using the ports/packages
          mechanism.  This is not usually the case with commercial
          systems.

   <item> The FreeBSD developers use their latest code on their
          development machines, so any basic errors are quickly caught
          (if not by the developer, then by members of the user community
          who eagerly follow the latest code). Surprisingly, this does
          not appear to happen in certain commercial systems...

   <item> Because of the open nature of FreeBSD development, mistakes and
          security holes are quickly found to and fixed. Commercial
          systems people are reluctant to admit anything could possibly
          be wrong with their system, and it can take weeks or months
          before a patch is quietly slipped out.

   <item> Since they are doing it as a hobby, FreeBSD developers can
          afford to take the time to do things properly - in fact, as
          their code will be published, they have every incentive to
          produce code they can be proud of. Commercial systems
          developers have to get things done in time to meet deadlines
          and get paid.

    </itemize>

(*) This is not quite as true as when I wrote it - for example, some of
the Sun developers occasionally post to the Solaris newsgroups.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland.
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk