Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 22:45:57 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: scsi drives left locked by shutdown

In message <9610162030.AA03123@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>, Garrett Wollman wri
tes:
><<On Wed, 16 Oct 1996 22:18:48 +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
>said:
>
>> Your one-month deadline for coming up with either a finished
>> implementation or a bit of documentation about the intentions
>> was gracefully extended to more than 6 months before devconf
>> was taken out behind the barn and shot.
>
>And what have you done to replace it?  You should have bloody well
>LEFT IT ALONE until you had written the replacement.  (You certainly
>haven't demonstrated that it somehow was never useful or necessary.)

I have talked with various people about the problem (who all agreed
to the removal btw) and we have some good ideas, and we will probably
find a good solution when we have time.

In the meantime your code doesn't prevent people from thinking about
it and toying with it, and it doesn't infect all our kernel sources
with a bunch of unreadable code.  I'm about to zap the isdn stuff
for exactly the same reason.  People sit there looking at it,
expecting it to evolve and it's dead.

>> I have sent you my preliminary comments on your document about
>> a replacement
>
>You sent me one comment, about it being too complex for you.
Well that was more than 3 times longer than your standard reply:
	"NO!!!!"
(I'm sorry if I got it wrong, I'm not sure if you use 3 or 4 '!'s)

>You have
>not sent me a single USEFUL reply, and so far as I can tell, nobody
>else has even bothered to look at it.

Well, we're more alike than I thought then.

>I have no intention of actually /writing/
>that replacement; I'll stick to my networking and leave device
>configuration up to you and Justin.

A wise decision that will undoubtedly help our networking code.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.