Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 1996 13:23:54 -0700 (MST)
From:      Stephen Waits <swaits@pr.erau.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   quotacheck runs away and crashes system..  argh!

I decided today I'd get quota's working on our system.

I did the following:

touch /usr/quota.users
chown root.wheel /usr/quota.users
chmod 600 /usr/quota.users

Edited /etc/fstab:

/dev/sd0s1f              /usr   ufs    rw,userquota 1 1

Edited /etc/sysconfig:

check_quotas=YES

REBOOTED..  The system booted fine until it said it was checking the
quotas.  The drive chugged along for awhile, then. .. silence..

SO, I changed /etc/sysconfig back to check_quotas=NO, rebooted, and ran
quotacheck -av manually with top running on another VTY.

quotacheck chugged through the disk for a bit, then spit out a bunch of
"fixed:" lines showing the updates it was making, then sat there.  Now, a
look at top showed it starting to run like crazy as soon as the "sitting
there" begins.  Any ideas?  tia.

--Steve (http://pr.erau.edu/~swaits)