Date:      Wed, 1 May 1996 12:55:29 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        bde@freefall.freebsd.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit:  src/sys/i386/include clock.h src/sys/i386/isa clock.c src/sys/i386/i386 machdep.c

> This change is supposed to make timekeeping more accurate when no
> external clocks are available.  The RTC is probably more accurate
> than the i8254 clock so it is used as a reference.  The nominal
> frequencies can be overridden using sysctl if desired.

[ ... timer code changes ... ]

I'd like to see a more chip/service-centric breakdown of functional
support within the kernel.

Specifically, the use of Intel ISA bridge chipsets is common in PReP
and Apple and DEC Hardware.

Because of this, common timer functions for DEC Alpha machines and
PPC machines are implemented with the same, or emulations of, chips
which are in Intel boxes.

For instance, the packaging of the timer1/timer2 services is Intel
architecture specific because of the use of Intel assembly constructs
and the use of the assumption that, for the internal speaker, these
will be the output drivers.

If this were broken along "chip provides these 5 functions..." or
similar lines on a per chip basis, this would vastly increase code
reusability.

It would also mean that time changes on one architecture don't
kill another.

For instance, I'd like to see the code not depend on i586 detection
for processor cycle clocks... I'd rather see the i586 cycle clock
tagged as a low cost, fixed frequency, calibratable device not to
be used for calibration.

And so on.

A given gridge chip might export timer1, timer2, and internal speaker
interfaces as a single functional unit (ie: in the PC, the driver
is latched this way for the speaker).

Speaker services may be seperate, or not provided at all by a similar
"black box" in another machine, which uses the same chip, but does
nmot provide the hardware speaker latching gate interface for driving
an internal "beep" speaker.

Just something to be thinking about...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org