Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2001 13:24:59 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Teaching parents UNIX

On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 02:02:29PM +0800, Kathy Quinlan wrote:
> [...]
There are a couple of points here.
One since Microsoft software is almost single-handedly responsible for
the spread of viruses across the globe, which as pointed out above, does
affect all public services even if they use non-ms software, then
Microsoft should be responsible enough to give all users of their OS'es
a lifetime subscription gratis to an anti-viral service.

That will not happen.

Solution 2. People should accept the expense of buying an anti-viral
agent as being necessary to the safe-keeping of the Internet. What
happens is that many ISP's give out anti-viral software as part of the
deal on a 6 month license, and then people never bother to re-new
their subscription.

Solution 3. ISP's should be held responsible for any of their users who
spread viruses through non-use of anti-viral agents. They should either
make it a condition of service, or themselves run a gratis anti-viral
service.

This is called social-responsibility. Running MS software without active
anti-viral checking is the technoglogical equivalent of having sex with
strangers without using a condom.

--
Regards
Cliff