Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 2002 00:09:11 -0700
From:      Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Peter heads back to M$FT WinBloze [integrate X]

Resent now that I've hacked up my sendmail installation so the list
server will speak to me...

A second vote for OS X.  I don't want to turn this into a .advocacy
thread, it's just that I was in the same boat as Peter last year; not
with FreeBSD, but Solaris.  I'd worked my way up to a Ultra 60 with
768MB of ram, dual processors, and a 15K SCSI drive and Elite3D
framebuffer.  Though it ran all my server stuff great, the thing was a
dog as a desktop.  It was slow doing typical 2d kinds of things,
Netscape took forever to load; CDE was useless out of the box, and when
I finally got Gnome running (I was using the Sun pre-release) it was...
amateurish.  No consistency between applications; some of them worked,
some didn't.  It wasn't impossible, just WAY too much work/time than I
have to get to where I wanted to be.

I figured if anyone could put a GUI on Unix and make it work, it was
Apple.  I bought a used Pismo Powerbook (512MB, 30GB, 500MHz) and a copy
of OS X.  Couldn't be happier.  I'm sitting here now running iTunes MP3
player - but my MP3s are stored safely on my FreeBSD server (I sold the
Ultra) and I'm connected via NFS.  I've got a Terminal window open - you
can drag and drop folders from the Finder to change directories at
will - on my FreeBSDs file system.  I'm writing this from the Apple Mail
application -  it uses an IMAP account on that same server.  M$ just
released a Remote Desktop Client for OS X, so I have a VNC-like
connection to my WinXP games box active too.  I've installed a rootless
X server app, so if I *do* need an X app it's right there - with drag
and drop to the other GUI.  This is wireless, of course; I found the
source to an app someone wrote for Linux to control my generic WAP via
SNMP. Compiles/runs fine on the Powerbook.

Hotswapping battery modules works.  Sleep works.  DVDs work.  CD burning
works.  My USB keychain drive works.  All the apps are written to a
standard user interface.  I haven't run the Classic MacOS more than a
few times, just to see what it looked like.  I'll probably do a clean
install when 10.2 comes out in a month, and do away with the Classic
partition.

*If* you happen to want a more seamless GUI than you get with
Linux/FreeBSD, you might want to take a look at OS X.  It's the most
useful environment I've been in since my long-lamented Amiga 3000.  But
it still doesn't have device aliases.  ;(

KeS