Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 23:11:07 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Eric M. Johnston" <ejohnst@green.mail.postal.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems Booting HD

Greetings,

I'm having some trouble booting a newly installed FreeBSD partition.  At
the boot manager prompt ("Default: ...") I've got the options of F1, dos,
and F2, BSD.  My obligatory DOS partion boots fine, yet the BSD one
refuses to boot: pressing F2 just causes it to repeat the choices and
"Default: F?" prompt.

Now, I searched the mailing list archvies, and found many messages with a
similar question, but no real answers (or, at least, no answers that apply
and work in my case).

So, the details:

  Did Novice Install from FreeBSD 2.2.2 CD-ROM onto an IDE HD
  IDE HD is ~540MB, set as the primary (and only) IDE HD
  HD cylinders: 1046, heads: 16, sectors: 63 - I've double checked this
    with the installation program - it appears to get it right
  I also have an Adaptec 2940U installed (CD drive is SCSI), but same
    problem when I remove it
  Intel Pentium Pro MB (AMI BIOS?)
  Boots fine from floppy using "wd(o,a)/kernel"
  Installation CD-ROM boots very nicely on its own (surprised me the
    first time)
  DOS partion (first 25MB of HD) boots fine
  I did a "fdisk /mbr" from DOS and reinstalled FreeBSD and the boot
    manager as suggested in the mailing list archives - hasn't helped

Thanks for your help - I'm ready to get this computer going!

Eric