Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 2000 06:48:08 -0500
From:      Bob Martin <bob@buckhorn.net>
To:        xavian@professional3d.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing freebsd in an existing linux environment

xavian anderson macpherson wrote:

> i already have over 1700 linux rpms installed on my system.  do i have
> to reformat my existing system, thereby elimnating all of those
> packages?  can the freebsd kernel read a linux ext2-formatted hard
> disk?  i would like to not have to lose all of my existing work!
>
> xavian anderson macpherson
> 503-581-2627
If you are asking if FreeBSD can be loaded on an ex2fs, the answer is
no. If you are asking if it can read ext2fs, the answer is yes. To use
those RPMS, they would have to be reinstalled under FreeBSD Linux
emulation. (Assuming that FreeBSD doesn't already have a port for the
program.)

Bob Martin
--
As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.