Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 2003 11:44:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Eli Scott <sp0rkmail@brainguts.no-ip.com>
To:        Paul Chvostek <paul+fbsd@it.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RMS says: "Use BSD, for goodness sake!"

Reguarding AWK - I work at a university in the Environmental Science
department.  I'm working on a project right now regaurding stream flow and
nitrate flushing.  over 90% of the programs we use to process streamflow
records are written in AWK, and it definately is useful beyond filtering
columns.  This might be just my boss' preference in language, but I have
tried to reimplement the programs in python, or even make more powerful
versions in C/C++, and AWK always ends up being the most efficient tool
with the fastest development time.  So, yes, AWK is used beyond column
filtering.  And...if it's dropped from FreeBSD, I'll have to go back to
using Solaris.  I don't want to go back to using Solaris.  I don't admin
the Solaris machine...its mucky!

-Eli