Date:      Sat, 8 Aug 1998 11:30:17 -0500
From:      Michael Maxwell <drwho@xnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recommendations for an AMD k6 motherboard

On Sat, Aug 08, 1998 at 04:58:51AM -0400, W. Maynard wrote:
> I'm planning to build a custom FreeBSD system.  Here's what I've got so
> far:
>
> AMD K6, 233 MHz
> 32 M 72 pin EDO SIMM 8x32 ( x 4 = 128 mb RAM)
> 6.4 GB Quantum SCSI HD
> Matrox Millenium II 8M PCI
> NEC 24 X SCSI CD-ROM drive
> Adaptec 2940UW SCSI PCI

Just a note: I'd recommend you not use EDO RAM.  Instead, use true parity
RAM.  I've had terrible experiences with EDO, and have heard many others
with similar problems.  For one thing, there's no error correction.  For
another thing, it's flaky, usually.  It may be faster (very little), and
it may be cheaper, but you get what you pay for.  EDO is really only good
for Windows/DOS single-user PC's...

--
drwho @ xnet.com  --   http://www.xnet.com/~drwho/
"Freedom of government is good, but freedom FROM government is better."