Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 00:33:59 -0400
From:      "Kevin P. Neal" <kpneal@pobox.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why not DNS (was: nfs startup - perhaps it is a problem)

At 11:42 AM 9/15/97 +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
>I haven't been following this thread too closely, but I still claim
>that /etc/hosts is just plain obsolete.  If anybody can give me any
>reasons for using /etc/hosts, I'm sure I can refute them.

How about:

You are running a very small network (less than 10 machines) and are
sometimes connected to the Internet.

You don't want to set up a nameserver. You _do_ want these machines to have
names. You don't have names for them on the Internet. Furthermore, you don't
want to have to diddle /etc/resolve.conf apon ppp-up and ppp-down to point
at a different name server.

You know exactly what "lookup file bind" does, and it does exactly what you
want in this situation.
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Junior, Comp. Sci.     -   House of Retrocomputing
XCOMM  mailto:kpneal@pobox.com              -   http://www.pobox.com/~kpn/