Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 20:54:45 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Don't unplug that ... ::pfft::

How do those of you who work with a building full of microsoft and
graphite users prevent kind hearted souls (and cleaners) from turning
your machine off after you go home? Or at other times, for that matter.
They just don't realise how much damage it can do, and how much damage
it _won't_ do to leave it on. After the event they look at you with
tears streaming out of big eyes and say "I didn't know! I'm so stupid!"
but it's too late then, you've already maimed them.

I've thought about leaving abusively threatening notes, applying
superglue to the power switch, booby-trapping the floor, putting a
rubber lady decked in lifesaving medical electronics in the chair and
dimming the lights... These techniques all have problems, and office
people are so inventive when it comes to doing innocent damage, it's
hard to keep up with their reasoning and workarounds.

BTW, there's hope for the world. Early this morning the guys at work
(not unix users) snuck in and set up a new adjustable monitor stand for
me, something they know I've wanted for ages. I'd left the machine on
with the monitor turned off and keyboard covering part of the case, so
that nobody would see a light and try to turn it off for me, which is
the norm in this place.

Anyway, the new toy was a wonderful surprise, so I resolved to hide any
dismay at having to fsck after they'd probably turned my computer off
and thrown it across the desk. But no, they hadn't turned it off, only
unplugged the keyboard and mouse to reroute them. The machine was fine
(other than the confused mouse, see -questions). Gee, in other places
I've had people pull out the power plug just to help someone see where
the power point is. But not all OtherOS users are dorks, eh :-) I still
don't trust them not to do bad one day by trying too hard to do good.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-