Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 1999 14:36:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Keraba <keraba@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrading to 3.1R using cvs update

I'm trying to upgrade to 3.1R and hoping to take
advantage of the fact that I have all the 3.0R
source code by pulling across only the updates
over my slow modem link. Unfortunately I don't
know if 'cvs update' can do what I want. When
I attempt to update using

cvs -d anoncvs@anoncvs.freebsd.org update -r RELEASE_3_1_0

(in a ports directory since that's where the tag is valid)
it says

cvs [server aborted]: cannot write /cvs/CVSROOT/val-tags: Permission
denied

This is apparently because cvs needs "to keep track of what tags
are valid tag names". [Cederqvist v1.9 4.4.2]

Is there a flag I can give cvs to tell it not to try to open
this file (read-write) ?  In other words, force it to trust
the tag I've given ?  If not, it would seem there's no way
to use update and tags with anonymous cvs.

(Alternatively I could give it a timestamp to update
my files to but this presents the problems of how
to figure out exactly when the last 3.1R check-in
was made, avoiding check-ins right after the release
and getting files on branches.)

If cvs can't do this, can cvsup take advantage of
the 3.0R source present ?