Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 1999 22:04:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Broken FAT FS During Install

I recently installed 3.2 on a machine that had been running only
Win95. The machine is basically a test client for some networking
experiments. Since many/most clients on an operational system will be
Win-boxes, I figured I'd preserve a working Win95 partition to run
tests from (I usually nuke whole disks when I get my paws on an old
machine at the office).

However, my Win95/DOS partition looks broken in someway. The problem
is that it will not boot. I get a 'Invalid system disk' (or the like)
error when I try to boot off of DOS (F1 from BootEasy). I can mount
the DOS partition just fine when FreeBSD is running. I tossed in a
MS-DOS bootable floppy, and I could read C: when I booted off of it.

The fdisk output from the BSD OS is,

******* Working on device /dev/rwd0 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=621 heads=64 sectors/track=63 (4032 blks/cyl)

parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=621 heads=64 sectors/track=63 (4032 blks/cyl)

Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 6,(Primary 'big' DOS (> 32MB))
    start 63, size 830529 (405 Meg), flag 0
        beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 1;
        end: cyl 205/ sector 63/ head 63
The data for partition 2 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 830592, size 1673280 (817 Meg), flag 80 (active)
        beg: cyl 206/ sector 1/ head 0;
        end: cyl 620/ sector 63/ head 63
The data for partition 3 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 4 is:
<UNUSED>

When I booted the DOS floppy and ran FDISK.EXE from there, I got the
same information.

I used the PRESIZER.EXE off of a FreeBSD CDROM (a home-built
3.1-RELEASE CD) to shrink down that DOS partition from originally
taking the whole disk.

Any ideas what may be wrong, how to find the problem, or how to fix
it? I'd like to have a Win95 client to inflict evil experiments on.

Thanks for any help.