Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2002 11:36:38 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Vinod Namboodiri <geekvinod@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: orinoco and freebsd

> Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 11:18:15 -0800 (PST)
> From: Vinod Namboodiri <geekvinod@yahoo.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> I just got a Orinoco gold card and plan to install it
> into my freebsd box.but the docs with it doesnt
> mention freebsd at all while it does mention linux.But
> i know this thing works for freebsd from reading the
> mailing lists.is there no freebsd driver supplied with
> the product coz wi driver is already inbuilt in the
> latest freebsd versions?or is there any other reason
> which i am missing out?

Nope. Agere does not provide any FreeBSD support for this card.
FreeBSD people (mostly Bill Paul) wrote the wi driver
expressly to support the Lucent/Orinoco WaveLan cards. It was included
in GENERIC starting with V4.0 and the driver was extended to support
most Prism II cards by about 4.4.

Get the card, set up your system for pccard support and you should be
on your way. Use wicontrol and/or ifconfig to set up the encryption
keys and other parameters. You can put customization stuff in
/etc/if_start.wi0.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)