Date:      Fri, 4 Aug 2000 14:39:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Joe.Warner@smed.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SYSTEM HANGS/WON'T BOOT HELP!

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000 Joe.Warner@smed.com wrote:
> /dev/cuaa1 uses the device sio1 (COM2).  That is compiled in the
> kernel by default but if you don't have a second serial port or
> it is disabled in your BIOS that would also cause the message.
>
> I have a Compaq Deskpro and it has only 1 serial port and can't get to my
> BIOS because when I installed FreeBSD, I took the automatic installation
> option and told it to use the whole disk.  After it formatted the drive and
> installed, I think it blew the BIOS away.  Do you know how I might be able
> to get around this or at least find out what's using /dev/cuaa0?

The BIOS is still there, it's not on the drive, it's a chip.
I think Compaq is F8 or F10 during POST to get to the bios.

Try the list again.  I don't have a Compaq or run upsmond so
I can't be of much help.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 Dana Point Communications, Inc.                            dan@dpcsys.com