Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 1996 10:15:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Should this port go in ?

On Fri, 30 Aug 1996, Chuck Robey wrote:

> I see one problem with this.  If you make it too automated, then stuff the
> erroneously gets installed to dumb places like /usr/lib or /etc will not
> be noticed by porters, who are forced to notice it now.  The problem I was

Have bsd.ports.mk review the installation and sound and sound an
alarm if anything lands outside of /usr/local?  The manual system
may help avoid problems like that but its a PITA and very error
prone, particularly when ports are upgraded and new files appear
but the PLIST isn't updated.  I think we can get rid of the PITA
factor and errors while making sure things get installed in
reasonable places.

> addressing above was not the convenience of making PLIST (which I admit
> I'd like to have) but the ability for a package to be more agile in
> installing options, as a port can be.  The obvious example is whether or

Mm... I guess I wasn't thinking of ports more than packages and
I'm not sure if or how a modified install would help in this
respect.

Another thing the scheme doesn't catch is symlinks that are, out
of necessity, made in the target directory after the real files
have been installed.

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================