Date:      Mon, 24 Oct 2016 12:40:09 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        cy@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Re: Typo in /etc/ntp/leap-seconds

Hi Matthew,

The spelling error is sort-of "intentional." The file,
base/head/etc/ntp/leap-seconds and descendants, was fetched from the USNO
(US Naval Observatory) ftp site. Had I fetched the ISC version or the IETF
version, the spelling error would not exist.

Proactively answering the next anticipated question people might ask, what
decides which file is fetched? Simply, of the leap-seconds files most
recently updated, from USNO, ISC, and IETF, the file with the latest expiry
date is the one chosen for commit into base. Some sources do not update
their leap-seconds files if no leap second is announced. USNO always
publishes a new leap-seconds file regardless of whether a leap second is or
is not announced.

The version fetched by the ntp rc script is the IETF version because the
URL is the only one of the three to use http or https. USNO and ISC post
their files on FTP servers, which is not preferred.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>

In message <bf2b6365-78ae-5524-427a-9f01b1516dac@FreeBSD.org>, Matthew