Date:      Sat, 5 Dec 1998 14:30:29 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Maksymilian Wrzesinski <mcson@terrorgarden.waw.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /var/msgs/bounds

Maksymilian Wrzesinski wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Ben Smithurst wrote:
>
> > $ cat /var/msgs/bounds
> > 3 2
> > two numbers, that's all. Try "0 0" if you have nothing else in /var/msgs
> > $ man msgs
>
> hmmm... thanks for Your kind explanation but i'm still a bit confused.
>
> there wasn't any file in /var/msgs directory so i tried 'echo "0 0" >
> /var/msgs/bounds' (that's what I understand from Your words). but even
> then my sendmail sais "unknown mailer error" after trying to send
> some short mail to user msgs (I've inserted 'msgs: "| /usr/bin/msgs -s"'
> line to /etc/aliases already).

That's most likely a permissions problem. You'll notice /var/msgs/ is
owned by "daemon", make sure the bounds file is also owned by daemon,
since your MTA will need to write to that. (It's set up differently here
since I use Exim for my MTA, so they're owned by user "exim".)

Also, please remember to include the list in any replies, so there are
more people who may be able to answer your question.

--
Ben Smithurst
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk

send a blank message to ben+pgp@scientia.demon.co.uk for PGP key