Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 2002 22:41:46 +1100 (EST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Keith=20Spencer?= <bsd2000au@yahoo.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: maildirs...how do I create them? -> Please Sir...can I have some more?

Legend Giorgos!
If I may ask further...I have simply installed courier
Imap from the ports. Sendmail is already up...any
ideas how to config Imap and/or stuff to get to use
passwd?
Thanks all if needed
Keith

--- Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
wrote: > On 2002-03-21 20:57, Keith Spencer wrote:
> > Hi all here is a bit of classic
> ignorance/confusion
> > for you.
> > I wish to install webmail.
> > IMHO is a roxen module which has it(mostly) all.
> > It can use courier imap.
> > Imap needs to use maildirs.
> > I already have users on my system usin  cucipop
> mail
> > access and I have sendmail on the system (Freebsd
> 4.3)
> > I don't understand what I have to do to create
> these
> > maildirs? Th imap docs are confuding to me.
> > Do I have all the mail software I need?
> > Am I supposed to install Qmail or something
> instead of
> > sendmail?
>
> Nah.  Maildirs are just directories of the form:
>
> 	maildir/
> 		new/
> 		cur/
> 		tmp/
>
> You can create one by the following commands:
>
> 	% umask 066
> 	% mkdir -p something/new
> 	% mkdir -p something/cur
> 	% mkdir -p something/tmp
>
> Then something/ is a valid Maildir.
> For extra bonus points, you can create a shell
> script called maildirmake,
> that includes the following:
>
> 	#!/bin/sh
>
> 	umask 066
> 	for fname in "$@" ;do
> 		mkdir -p "${fname}"/new
> 		mkdir -p "${fname}"/cur
> 		mkdir -p "${fname}"/tmp
> 	done
>
> and then call it in commands like:
>
> 	% maildirmake /home/jenny/Maildir
>
> 	% cd /home
> 	% maildirmake john/INBOX jane/Maildir george/inbox
>
> Giorgos Keramidas                       FreeBSD
> Documentation Project
> keramida@{freebsd.org,ceid.upatras.gr}
http://www.FreeBSD.org/docproj/

- Vote for your nominees in our online Oscars pool.