Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 2020 11:53:16 +0200
From:      "Kristof Provost" <kp@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   CFT: if_bridge performance improvements

Hi,

Thanks to support from The FreeBSD Foundation I’ve been able to work
on improving the throughput of if_bridge.
It changes the (data path) locking to use the NET_EPOCH infrastructure.
Benchmarking shows substantial improvements (x5 in test setups).

This work is ready for wider testing now.

It’s under review here: https://reviews.freebsd.org/D24250

Patch for CURRENT: https://reviews.freebsd.org/D24250?download=true
Patches for stable/12:
https://people.freebsd.org/~kp/if_bridge/stable_12/

I’m not currently aware of any panics or issues resulting from these
patches.

Do note that if you run a Bhyve + tap on bridges setup the tap code
suffers from a similar bottleneck and you will likely not see major
improvements in single VM to host throughput. I would expect, but have
not tested, improvements in overall throughput (i.e. when multiple VMs
send traffic at the same time).

Best regards,
Kristof