Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 2003 23:30:21 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Yasuyuki Okase <yokase@din.or.jp>
Cc:        jnavarro@cs.rice.edu, freebsd-ia64@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with fxp driver

Yasuyuki Okase wrote:
> From: Juan E Navarro <jnavarro@cs.rice.edu>
>
> > I forgot to mention that I've tried two different i2000's so far. So,
> > next question would be:
> > has anyone succeeded in using the fxp driver in an i2000 box?
>
> Yes.
> However, only 2GB RAM has been recognized.

The fxp driver does not yet use the busdma subsystem.  This means that it
cannot use memory above the 4GB mark.  In the meantime, we ignore memory
above the 4GB mark.  Note that on most ia64 systems with more than 2GB of
ram, only 2GB is reachable inside the bottom 4GB of address space.  The other
2GB of space is usually reserved for system and PCI use.

If you have 64 bit capable devices (em, bge, mpt, etc) or busdma using
devices (ahc, xl, etc), then you can remove the code that ignores the memory
above 4GB from the /usr/src/sys/ia64/ia64/machdep.c file.  It displays
a message about it at boot, so it is easy to find.  But do not do this if
you want to use fxp or an isp qlogic scsi controller.

Cheers,
-Peter