Date:      Sun, 1 Aug 1999 23:33:07 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic plus advice needed

On Sat, 31 Jul 1999, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:

> No, just options DDB.
> This bt was obtained after doing gdb -k kernel.0 vmcore.0
> I still have the DDB trace on paper which I can type in if needed/wanted.
>
> > What you do with the results depends a lot on what you find.  On the
> > whole, I wouldn't think it worth the pain of debugging without
> > symbols.
>
> No it isn't...

Another handful tricks of the trade:

* if you still have exactly the same source tree and config file,
recompile the kernel with -g to obtain the version with debugging symbols

* if you managed to crash it once, you perhaps can do it again, but this
time having the debugging kernel handy

* if you can't for the life of you get the crash dump to examine what went
wrong, do remember of remote GDB option under DDB - that is, if you have
another machine with the same sources and kenel. But if the problem is
repeatable you can prepare it beforehand... Remote GDB works miracles
then.

Andrzej Bialecki

//  <abial@webgiro.com> WebGiro AB, Sweden (http://www.webgiro.com)
// ------ FreeBSD: The Power to Serve. http://www.freebsd.org --------