Date:      Sat, 25 May 2002 12:43:37 -0500
From:      "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        "Charles Pelletier" <fozekizer@attbi.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ftp sites

You may be beyond my feeble capacity to
help here.  I don't know ipf.  FTP uses either
"active" or "passive" mode transfers. Most
server admins prefer that the clients use passive
mode, but I don't know re: /sysinstall Passive mode
uses unprivileged, high[er] numbered ports, so
unless your gateway box's ipf is configged to pass
this properly that could be the issue.  OTOH,
I've never heard anyone using 1.1 nets either,
so it could be networking stuff.  The correct IPs for private
nets, last I checked were class C 192.168.xxx.xxx,
10.0.xxx.xxx to 10.255.xxx.xxx, and 172.16.xxx.xxx to
172.31.xxx.xxx.  There could have been a newer RFC,
but I don't know.  I guess you're finding out how much
of a relative newbie I am.  If you're actually using 1.1.4.1,
it does seem like there'd be some problems with routes.

Net config looks like this?

WAN ---  cable modem ----  FBSD nat box     ----     problem client
                                         x.x.x.x?        1.1.4.1
1.1.4.33

I'd think that your ISP would need to bind their IP address to
the MAC address of your gateway/nat box, then you assign
a 192 or 10 block address to its *internal* interface, then
set up natd, etc., etc.,

But, like I said, I'm no expert.  Maybe you should chill
until somebody smarter comes along, though that would be
difficult for me, anyway---espec. since this is a holiday weekend....

KDK