Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 2014 14:40:13 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I'd like to axe some drivers

--Apple-Mail=_C2D0A842-55BA-462C-8A05-8BDA6DB7F09A

On Nov 20, 2014, at 13:31, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> wrote:

> I'm >< close to removing timeout/untimeout from the tree.  As part of =
this I=20
> have updated several older drivers to use callout(9), but most of =
those=20
> patches were untested.  Keeping old code around that no one uses does =
add=20
> future work as tree-wide API changes are made as well as things like =
locking=20
> (note that several of these drivers weren't locked until I recently =
changed=20
> them).  To that end, here is my short list of things that I think we =
can bid=20
> farewell to in 11.  Note that many of these are for ISA devices.

=85

> si(4):    This is a driver for an older ISA/EISA/PCI multiport serial =
card.
>          It doesn't use bus_space.  It was hacked up to use new tty, =
but
>          still uses Giant.  I have a partial set of outstanding =
patches to
>          this to fix it to use bus_space, but when I sent them out for
>          testing on current and stable, no one replied.

Please remove usr.sbin/sicontrol as well if this gets removed:

OLD_FILES+=3Dusr/sbin/sicontrol
OLD_FILES+=3Dusr/share/man/man8/sicontrol.8.gz

> spic(4):  At one point the Sony VAIO was "the" cool laptop, and this =
driver
>          controlled the "jogdial" found on it and presented it as a =
mouse.
>          This is a tiny driver and is less invasive in terms of future
>          maintenance than others perhaps, but my recent calls for =
testing
>          on current@ and stable@ found no takers.  It's a fairly =
obscure
>          device and not one that exists on any recently shipped =
hardware.

Handling of this driver might need to be removed from moused/devd =
(there=92s a reference to moused at the bottom of the manpage, but a =
cursory grep reveals nothing for =93sony" or "spic"=85 hmm).

Thanks!