Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2001 21:20:08 -0700
From:      William Bloom <william.bloom@pegs.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB Keyboard not Recognized in 2nd Stage Loader

After having looked through portions of the handbook as well as the
mail list archives for solutions (which I've tried), I find I still have a
stubborn USB keyboard problem.  This is a 4.4-STABLE system built
from sources which were cvsup'd on 10/30 for building on a system that
uses an Intel CA810E motherboard,  a Belkin USB keyboard s/ hub, and
a Microsoft USB mouse.  The system was originally installed using a
PS/2 keyboard which broke and was replaced with the present
keyboard.

I made the recommended kernel edits and have in general had
good results with both the keyboard and the mouse except for
one persistent annoyance; the 2nd stage loader loses the keyboard.  This
prevents me from intercepting the boot sequence to load an alternate
kernel or do a single user boot.

I've enabled legacy USB keyboard support in the BIOS.   With
experimentation, I've  observed that -unless- I have it enabled, not even
the BIOS or the 1st stage loader see the keyboard.  With legacy USB
keyboard support enabled, the BIOS and 1st loader can see the keybaord
but the 2nd stage load -still- cannot (that it, the 2nd stage loader cannot
see the keyboard regardless of the legacy USB keyboard setting).

As mentioned in the ukbd(4) man page, I've tried adding 'flags 0x100'
to 'device sc0' in order to force rescanning by the console driver, but
this was ineffective (which is predictable, I suppose, since nothing
in the kernel configuration would help the 2nd stage loader, I suspect).

Below are the relevant USB lines from dmesg.   Suggestions on next
steps to try as a solution or workaround?

uhci0: <Intel 82801AA (ICH) USB controller> port 0xef80-0xef9f irq 9 at
device 3
1.2 on pci0
usb0: <Intel 82801AA (ICH) USB controller> on uhci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
uhub1: ORTEK ORTEK KH12 USB Hub, class 9/0, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2
uhub1: 3 ports with 2 removable, bus powered
ukbd0: ORTEK USB Hub/Keyboard, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 3, iclass 3/1
kbd0 at ukbd0
uhid0: ORTEK USB Hub/Keyboard, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 3, iclass 3/0
ums0: Microsoft Microsoft Wheel Mouse OpticalŪ, rev 1.10/1.21, addr 4,
iclass 3/
1
ums0: 3 buttons and Z dir.

Bill
--
William Bloom <william.bloom@pegs.com> (602) 906-7525
Pegasus Solutions, Inc.  7500 North Dreamy Draw Drive, Suite 120