Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 1999 01:30:09 -0700
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        <chris@calldei.com>
Cc:        "Phil Regnauld" <regnauld@ftf.net>, "Alex Perel" <veers@disturbed.net>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Cheesy benchmarks

>    But what real good is that other than to get publicity that you did a
> benchmark?  I'm sure I can get better performance through lo0 than I would
> through tun0, but what's the point?

	Again, it all depends on what claims are being made. If the claim is just
'different things work differently, so you should always check" then hey,
fine. Do a benchmark if you feel like it.

	I once had a fun time comparing how fast Linux could pump data through a
loopback TCP connection to how fast our $100,000+ SGI system could. Linux
beat it by a factor of 10. Did it measure anything useful? No. Did it annoy
the SGI people? Yes. :)

	DS