Date:      Thu, 08 Aug 2002 00:10:15 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Desmond Lee <desmond.lee@shaw.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: still can't upgrade using make install world

Desmond Lee wrote:

> Hi Kent
>
> Thanks for your reply
>

>>Well, it told you what to do. The user to be added is identified in
>>/usr/src/UPDATING
>>

>>But I won't force you to read it. You have to add to your passwrd file
>>the following as one line.
>>

> I've already read it... serveral times now. I'm learning freebsd for fun,
> not cause i have to :)
>

>>smmsp:*:25:25::0:0:Sendmail Submission
>>User:/var/spool/clientmqueue:/sbin/nologin
>>

>>You also have to add smmsp to /etc/group
>>
>>smmsp:*:25:
>>

> The following line was one of the lines added to the /etc/group file:
> smmsp:*:25:
>
> The following lines was one of the lines added to the /etc/master.passwd
> file:
> smmsp:*:25:25::0:0:Sendmail Submission
> User:/var/spool/clientmqueue:/sbin/nologin

Did you use vipw or edit it in. If you used an ordinary editor, you
have to update the password database. I did a man passwd and it listed
pwd_mkdb. I never try to get that involved and simply use vipw.

>>Then, installworld will finish your upgrade. You could also run
>>mergemaster -p but I don't let mergemaster touch my group or password
>>files.
>>

> Actually, i was told only to run 'mergemaster' not 'mergemaster -p'
> afterwards. Ha.. i already learnt not to let it mess around w/ the group and
> password files :P

Well, that only works on smmsp after you finish the installworld. If
it is dying before then, you have to use the version in /usr/obj to do
the addition.

> So, like it's not that i'm not listening to the advice i get on this mailing
> list. In fact, i like this mailing list cause everyone is trying to help me
> out. But the thing is, i'm following instructions, but things just ain't
> going my way. So things are getting a little bit fustrating. Never the less,
> I think i've set up the files right, but still can't do the 'make
> installworld'. I've read this section in my book a couple times now, but
> it's for beginners so it doesn't really cover some of the stuff that i've
> discussed on this mailing list.
>
> If you or anyone else has any more good ideas,... please please help :)

It sounds like you are close but still missing a few bits. It only takes one.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA