Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 2009 23:08:35 +0200
From:      Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
To:        Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: How to increase the max pty's on Freebsd 7.0?

--STPqjqpCrtky8aYs

Hi Kostik,

* Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can we switch to %x ? Or even, use some radix encoding of the number,
> to allow alphabetical symbols too ?

I guess that would break a lot of existing libraries. For example: older
RELENG_7/CURRENT libcs might still use TIOCGPTN. This ioctl just returns
a number that is just printed into a device name using "/dev/pts/%u" as
a format. I also suspect a lot of Linux/Solaris-minded software expects
the names to be in decimal form.

I also thought about that, but the risks are probably too high. I think
it's better to just redesign our utmp/wtmp/lastlog system. I guess we
could do something like this:

- Implement utmpx. At first utmpx should just be a set of wrappers
  around utmp/wtmp/lastlog.
- Migrate all applications to utmpx.
- Change the utmpx code to use some new fancy file format.

I think I can finish the first step before 8.0 if I start working on
this one of these weeks.

--=20
 Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
 WWW: http://80386.nl/