Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 2003 18:00:20 -0500
From:      Jon Passki <jon@caffeinated-systems.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Video Out to Video In converter

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 03:53:38PM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Jon Passki wrote:
> > Imagine hooking up hardware to the video output of an antiquated
> > system.  Through a mixture of magic, the end results is that output
> > is displayed, for example, in a reduced display on a graphical
> > desktop.  The quality may not be the best, the bandwidth for all this
> > may be obscene, but I'm thinking more on the concepts now.
>
> Yeah; it's a cool idea that you really don't have much of a
> chance of ever getting implemented.  8-).
>
> Basically, you want to take some digital data, like the contents
> of a VGA card RAM, let the card turn it analog, and then take
> the analog signal and turn it back into a digital copy of the
> original screen RAM.

I think that's a good explination.

> I get it, even though I would never do it that way; better to add
> a US$80.00 screen-scraper card to the cost of the system.
>
> Maybe you could consider a web-cam pointed at the monitor?  It'd
> be cheaper than the alternatives... 8-) 8-).

Could be :-)

> <http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=200571&pcount=&Product_Id=127703>;
>
> US$4000.00
>
> <http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=200571&pcount=&Product_Id=125506>;
>
> US$7000.00

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&krd=1&from=R8&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=kvm+over+ip

$1,1750, but a web cam is still cheaper...  At least in practice, it
seems that it's possible.

Take care,

Jon