Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 1995 09:18:29 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Augustine <chris@miller.cs.uwm.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATAPI Problems.

Both my hard drive and the cdrom are being recognized as unit 0.

I noticed that if I did this command repeatedly :
mount_cd9660 /dev/wcd0c /mnt
That sometimes I would get - device not configured.
other times I would get - input/output error.
finally the hard drive light would stay on, and the disk would be unaccessable.

==========================BOOT UP MESSAGE==============================
wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <WDC AC31600H>
wd0: 1549MB (3173184 sectors), 3148 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
atapi0.1 at 0x1f0: attach called
atapiX.1 at 0x1f0: identify not ready, status=1<check>
wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
atapi1.0 at 0x170: attach called
wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <HITACHI CDR-7730/0008a>, removable, iordy
           ^
___________|_____________________________________________
Is the fact that they are both using unit 0 significant?

Here is what my kernel config looks like:

controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
disk            wd1     at wdc0 drive 1

controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr
disk            wd2     at wdc1 drive 0
disk            wd3     at wdc1 drive 1

options         ATAPI   #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
device          wcd0    #IDE CD-ROM

Any help would be appreciated.