Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 2000 08:13:11 -0400
From:      "Otter" <otterr@telocity.com>
To:        "Alfred Perlstein" <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: serial console installs?

}-----Original Message-----
}From: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
}[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG]On Behalf Of Alfred
}Perlstein
}Sent: Friday, September 29, 2000 9:05 PM
}To: Danny Howard
}Cc: questions@FreeBSD.ORG
}
}* Danny Howard <dannyman@tellme.com> [000929 17:58] wrote:
}> Has something changed with 4.1-R and 4.1.1-R?  I've
}managed serial-console
}> installs on machines up to 4.0-R, but with 4.1 I can only
}get VGA output from
}> the kern.flp image.  I've tried two different machines.
}I'm tempted to try
}> 4.0-R kern.flp and install 4.1 using that, but if kern.flp
}has dropped serial
}> console support that is a very upsetting prospect ...
}>
}> Does anyone have a clue they can point me at?
}
}Yeah, it was just brought up a day or so ago, some lame large
}manufacturer broke the keyboard detection routines so we need to
}default to video, solution is to edit the floppy, just mount it
}and edit the /boot/loader.conf for serial support.
}
}sorry,
}--
}-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@wintelcom.net|alfred@freebsd.org]
}"I have the heart of a child; I keep it in a jar on my desk."
}
Was it a particular manufacturer? Or do all machines fail on a serial
install?
-Otter