Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 12:20:09 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jim Dixon <jdd@vbc.net>
To:        Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org, Chad Shackley <chad@gaianet.net>
Subject:   Re: Decision in Router Purchase

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Veggy Vinny wrote:

> > No.  ans.net has two separate autonomous systems, one (AS690) using
> > gated boxes and the other (just being implemented, I think), using
> > Bay routers.
>
> 	Hmmm, okay.  Is Bay Routers the same as WellFleet?  That's what

Yep.  But the new Bay Networks routers have a very good reputation.
[We also use and despise a couple of Wellfleets.]

> > The daughterboard works its way loose.
>
> 	oh okay but does it damage the circuit board in anyway?

No, but if it falls out it won't be good for your telecommunications.

> > I think that support at ET has improved considerably.  I could be wrong ;-)
>
> 	Oh that's good but is Dennis the only person at ET? ;-)

Uh ... the only person that we have every spoken to at ET.

> 	Oh I see, so the features are pretty much identical?

Yes.

> > > We're gonna have either a Full T1 or a Frame Relay T1.  So the SDL card
> > > doesn't support FR?
> >
> > There is no FreeBSD driver that handles frame relay.  It's not a problem
> > with the card.  There _are_ BSD/OS and Linux drivers for SDL.
>
> 	Oh okay, so it's just a driver issue.  I guess the ET might be a
> better option for us now.

Possibly, especially if you have only one WAN connection and that uses
frame relay.

--
Jim Dixon                  VBCnet GB Ltd           http://www.vbc.net
tel +44 117 929 1316                             fax +44 117 927 2015