Date:      Mon, 05 May 2008 08:36:13 +0300
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonicy@otenet.gr>
To:        prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: living with freebsd

prad wrote:
> i'd like to know how people live with freebsd.
>
> do you use only ports or only packages or a mixture?
> do you upgrade from version to version using freebsd tools or do it
> manually?
> do you have a different approach regarding the above depending on
> whether it is for a server or a desktop?
>
> the handbook tells you what you can do, but i'd like to know what is
> actually done and why.

You will probably get too many different views - it is a flexible system
after all.
For example, I rarely mix ports and packages. On my small home server
(which also doubles as a workstation for light use) everything is
compiled from ports. This includes openoffice.org which took more than a
day to download and compile. I doubt I'll ever upgrade it the same way...
On this machine I am using the XFCE desktop, which I start manually from
the command line when used as a desktop. But on a real dedicated
desktop, I would use Gnome (or KDE).
As for versions, I always run -RELEASE. I would go to STABLE if I
desperately needed a feature not present in RELEASE, but this hasn't
happened yet. I am using freebsd-update to get security updates /
patches and then recompile my kernel when needed. I also used
freebsd-update to get to 7.0-RELEASE from 7.0-RC1.  Quite painless.

For desktop machines, especially when I need to get them up and running
quickly, I use packages. You can either use the stable packages from the
site (by setting the PACKAGESITE env variable) or use another machine to
compile your own (have a look at http://tinderbox.marcuscom.com/ ). I
almost never use the CD packages (except maybe for demonstration
purposes) since they get outdated really quickly.