Date:      Wed, 09 May 2001 23:59:05 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
To:        Steve Peck <steve.peck@uk.easynet.net>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel security level

Steve Peck wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed the FreeBSD 4.3
>
> And I got this strange problem where the kern.sercurelevel was set to 1.

I'm currently upgrading the machines here (and there :) to 4.3 and:

test:/root/cvsup$ uname -a
FreeBSD test.nisser.com 4.3-STABLE FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE #0: Wed May  9 19:36:00 CEST 2001
toor@test.nisser.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/NISSER-02  i386
test:/root/cvsup$ sysctl kern.securelevel
kern.securelevel: -1
test:/root/cvsup$

They don't seem to have that problem. Mind you, I did not go the GENERIC
route. Instead I went straight to my kernel configuration. Maybe that
makes a difference?

Roelof