Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 08:41:54 -0500
From:      Jerry Kelley <jerryk@iquest.net>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail on a firewall box

sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:

> > I just want one box that provides the services to my small LAN. I want
> > that box to be the mail host for my company and also provide a
> > firewall/proxy service.
>
> Sounds like you should buy a Whistle Interjet :-) (www.whistle.com)

Yeah, well, the ISP's around here haven't even heard of the Interjet.
Besides, it's not that economical. I can build a FreeBSD box and
configure
it for much less money!

> Anyway, given sendmail past history I'd feel very uncomfortable with
> sendmail in any sort of security-related function. Why don't you look
> at qmail (www.qmail.org) instead? This was written with security in
> mind.

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it. It's interesting how some will
say that it's OK to run sendmail on the firewall box and others will
cringe at it!

> I hope by "Internet access point" you don't mean for users to actually
> login to the firewall box? This is generally considered a bad idea.

No. The box will be dedicated to providing Interjet-like services for
my LAN. It will not be used by any users other than the administrator
for administration.

> Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug@nethelp.no

Jerry Kelley
jerryk@iquest.net
"Expectations are life's greatest dangers."