Date:      Fri, 4 May 2001 14:21:26 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Michael Han <mikehan@mikehan.com>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel 82562 fxp problem

>I've got a box running FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE (cvsup'd about 2/20). It's
>an Intel 815EEA motherboard based on the 815E chipset, with an Intel
>82562 integrated Ethernet adapter (on a riser?). The box frequently
>gives kernel warnings like:
>
>fxp0: SCB timeout
>fxp0: device timeout
>
>corresponding to the box dropping off of the network. Sometimes
>permanently, sometimes temporarily. I can't get console access, so I
>don't know if "ifconfig fxp0 down; ifconfig fxp0 up" or something like
>that helps or not. Anyone seen any similar problems?
>
>I have read the fxp(4) manpage and, as suggested, tried different
>cables. The box has also gotten a new motherboard (same model). It's
>been connected to different hardware (10Mbps hub and a 10/100 switch).
>It did this on 4.2-RELEASE and 4.2-STABLE. Whatever I do, it continues
>to exhibit this problem. Go easy here, I don't have physical access,
>so there's a bunch of stuff I'd have looked at that I can't verify one
>way or the other.

   I haven't done any testing with the 82562 and can't say whether it is
compatible with the fxp driver. Is there any chance that you can plug a
real Pro/100+ card into the machine and see if it exhibits the same problem?
This would narrow down the problem to either a problem with the motherboard
chipset or to the support of the 82562 in the fxp driver.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.