Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 1996 18:31:31 +0100 (MET)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.org
To:        jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Native & Linux ELF support finally there...

> On Mon, 11 Mar 1996 sos@FreeBSD.org wrote:
>
> Wow, that is too cool!  I suppose it is safe to assume that your changes
> will be in the next SNAPshot that Jordan makes, right?  If so, I'm going
> to bang on them like crazy, since I want our ELF support to be really
> rock solid (even more than Linux's ;-)!  Some programs I'd like to bang on:
>
> Quake (of course ;-)
> DOOM and Netscape (make sure the a.out stuff still works :-)

Why is it that these two candidates come up again and again :)

> GNAT (GNU/NYU Ada Translator, this will be tricky since my plan is to run
>   the Linux version of the Ada part with a FreeBSD-native GCC 2.7.2), in
>   the hopes of building a package/port of the latest GNAT (GNAT is written
>   in itself, so you need a binary before you can build it) :-(  :-(
> ELF version of Executor (great Macintosh emulator)
> Linux/ELF Motif libraries and programs (I bought MetroLink some time ago)

> Finally, a question for you.  Are FreeBSD ELF shared libraries
> intercompatible with Linux ELF shared libraries, in other words could you
> compile a FreeBSD ELF program using Linux ELF Motif?  It would be too
> cool if this was possible...

Hmm, depends, from a general viewpoint I'd say no, but....
If that library don't use any systemcalls directly, but only accesses
them through libc, and we have them in our libc, it might work.
Otherwise its a sure failuremode, as one binary can only have one
systemcall structure (sysentvec), and there is no easy way to change
that.

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..