Date:      Sat, 14 Aug 1999 00:36:35 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   external cdrom drives (Re: Which laptop? Any comment on the vaios?)

Warner Losh <imp@village.org> probably said:
> The pre Z505 505's used the Rockwell chipset, but the Z505s use a
> WinModem chip :-(.

I'm thinking about buying a 505TR which seems to all be supported fine
apart from the cdrom drive - I read here somewhere that the optional
pccard cdrom drive with a power supply was _not_ supported. This seems
to be the one sony is selling right now :/
(the PAO list says the 505 origional cdrom drive is specificly not
supported)

Are there any of the available 3rd party (pccard) external cdrom
drives that are supported (preferably one without a power supply,
since I don't want to have to plug it in and I don't want yet another
wall wart) ?

Most of the ones on the PAO supported list I assume are ones that
come with laptops, I'm looking for an aftermarket one.
Anyone got one in use they'd recommend ?

Thanks,
P.

--
pir               pir@pir.net      pir@shore.net      pir@net.tufts.edu