Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 2014 19:18:22 -0800
From:      Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>
To:        Jamie Landeg-Jones <jamie@dyslexicfish.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Potential security issues with new top level domains?

On Nov 16, 2014, at 6:38 PM, Jamie Landeg-Jones <jamie@dyslexicfish.net> =
wrote:
> Yes, the 'A' returned is invalid in this case, but what's to say this
> will be the case with all future new TLDs?

It will be the case for the first 90 days for all new TLDs that have =
three or more letters in their names; it will probably not be true for =
new TLDs with two letters in their name.

> I realise the spec is being followed correctly,

Yes.

> but it still seems wrong
> to me that any 'host' related resource types resolve for an address at =
the
> top level, and I was wondering what others thought about it?

The spec is being followed correctly, and there are many other TLDs that =
do this: see <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7085>.

> Should the FreeBSD resolver ignore / not make such requests?
>=20
> Should instead the functionality be built into unbound/named etc.?
>=20
> Should instead TLD owners be banned from adding such records? (this =
still
> could be abused though)

No, no, and no. As you say above, the spec is being followed. You can =
mitigate your misuse of the DNS: =
<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/name-collision-mitigation-01a=
ug14-en.pdf>.

--Paul Hoffman
(a long-time FreeBSDer who co-wrote the above RFC, and also wrote the =
ICANN report)=