Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 1999 09:46:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@sky.rim.or.jp>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cc-mode configuration for KNF

On 2 Nov 1999, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net> writes:
> > I wasn't questioning your taste; I just dislike that style a great deal,
> > and since my own is very neat (readable, repeatable) also, I don't like
> > being forced to write to that style.  I think the benefit (if one *does*
> > keep to a clear style, just not *that* one) is very questionable.
> >
> > I think keeping to a clear, readable style is quite important; I think
> > keeping to *your* version of that style is xenophobic.
>
> *cough* *cough*
>
> and you *don't* see a contradiction in your mail?
>
> Anyway, what's important about coding style isn't so much aesthetics
> as consistency and predictability.

Maybe I should have said *one* instead of *your*, I meant that keeping to
a clear style is important, but keeping the entire codebase to a single
style is far overly stuffy.  Inside one file, the style has to be the
same, anything else would drive you crazy, but across files, I don't think
that's defensible.

> DES

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C programming, Electronics,
213 Lakeside Dr. Apt. T-1  | communications, and signal processing.
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
(301) 220-2114             |       jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)