Date:      Fri, 04 Aug 2000 15:04:28 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Cc:        Daryl Chance <dchance@valuedata.net>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Disable Reboot FSCK

David Scheidt wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, Daryl Chance wrote:
>
> :Is there a way I can disable the FSCK on a reboot?  I have a server
> :that has a bad motherboard in it (working with FIC on getting a
> :replacement).  The server will (at least) reboot 2 times a day....maybe
> :more depending on load.  It's a pain (even though it's a fast server)
> :to sit and wait on the FSCK.  The disabling would only be temporary
>
> Yes, it can be done.  It's not usually a good idea.  In your case, it's just
> plain dumb.  Mounting a corrupted filesystem is very effective way of
> causing a kernel panic.  Replace your borken hardware.

I had a user error cause a reboot and found that the drive wasn't
fully checked out after the boot. The system suddenly developed
consistent UDMA errors when it got to the "Mounting root" section of
the boot. The errors went away once I booted to single user and
cleaned up the file systems.

Kent

> David Scheidt

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com

Bomber dropping fire retardant in front of Hanford Wild fire.
http://kstewart.urx.com/kstewart/bomber.jpg