Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 1998 23:04:39 -0400
From:      "Terry Rowe" <terry@shaw.wave.ca>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   failed kernel install: 2.2.6

After letting SCSI devices settle, I got "impossible mbxi status" and a
reboot.

I tried "everything" but still had the problem.  Tech Support @ Walnut
Creek suggested that the SCSI adaptor (Adaptec AHA-1540B) was faulty or
I needed a rom upgrade for it.

It turns out that I had optimistically set the adaptor's DMA transfer
speed to 8 MB/sec (the choices are 8, 6.7, 5.7, 5.0).  5.0 works!  But
all the others give problems.

My config:  486DX2/66 with an i/o bus speed of 33/4=8 MHz

Perhaps someone could add this to some Knowledge Database so someone
else in my situation will be spared the anguish.

--Terry Rowe