Date:      Thu, 2 May 2002 16:01:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        Nathan Mace <nmace@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KMail or Evolution??

On 2 May 2002, Nathan Mace wrote:

> Just wondering what everyone out there uses as mail client.  I realize

I haven't used Evolution yet. I have used kmail a little. (I don't like
that by default it shows a big "K".)

> haven't tried it since it hit 1.0 give it a shot.  It's been really
> stable for me, and has quite a few features that Kmail lacks

What features does Evolution have that Kmail doesn't?

I use pine. It works for me.

My wife uses Sylpheed (0.7.4):

- uses MH mailfile format. It can import / export mbox format.
- different viewsL folder tree, message view
- sort messages by different attributes
- drag messages
- search all messages by From, To, Subject and body.
- few different encodings supported (western Europe, Japanese)
- address book (after choosing many, it is hard to see all, because they
  are all placed on one long line)
- can use sendmail client or SMTP to send
- can do POP3
- SSL for POP3
- SSL and STARTTLS for SMTP
- GNUPG or manually signed, can automatically check
- signatures
- SMTP AUTH
- very customizable
- user defined headers
- can select auto pop3 before sending
- multiple accounts with different configs (and easily choose From address
  when sending)
- configurable quoting and reply formats
- choose text fonts and highlighting colors for viewing
- filtering (with regex)
- templates for composing
- based on GTK+ (gimp toolkit user interface)

I don't know about viewing HTML or rich formatted mail with sylpheed.
Also, I haven't tried double-clicking URLs yet.

Before using sylpheed, we tried balsa 1.2.4, but when we highlighted
several messages to delete or move to another mailbox, it only deleted a
few at a time -- so it was a hassle to reselect over and over again.

Does anyone know of any webpage that lists several of the common mail
client features with notes about different mail clients?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/

p.s. We were able to export her Yahoo mail address books and import into
Sylpheed. And we used POP3 to fetch all of her Yahoo mail (hundreds of
messages over past few years) -- by moving the Yahoo mail from different
folders back to main inbox.