Date:               Thu, 15 Jun 1995 08:44:59 CST6CDT
From:      "John Booth" <JOHN@gab.unt.edu>
To:        wjw@IAEhv.nl (Willem Jan Withagen)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:         Re: Crashed

You need to add the option
options "NMBCLUSTERS=1024"
to your configuration file and remake/install your kernel.

The mb_map doesn't deal with the disks, they are network buffers.
On busy nets this option needs to be increased.  We have about 20
unix hosts, 4 novell servers, and miscellaneous pcs and 1024 wasn't
enough for our net--2048 worked adequately.  Each buffer takes up 1k
I believe, I think the default configuration will use 512 buffers.

You can use netstat -m to see how many buffers are currently in use
and the number of requests that were denied (along with other
information).  If there are any denied requests, you should increase
the number of NMBCLUSTERS.

Your hard disk is probably fine.  If you run out of the buffers it
will cause a variety of problems.

                                    College of Arts & Sciences
                                    Computing Services
                                    John A. Booth, john@gab.unt.edu