Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2001 15:16:38 -0700
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@atg.aciworldwide.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GNU Compiler Symlinks

> Also, contrary to what you're suggesting, the system is designed to be
> built with the GNU C compiler. We have gcc'isms in a number of places in
> the source tree, and the chances are very high that the system would not
> work properly unless the compiler perfectly emulated these gcc-isms.

Sure, but I can make the same argument about Irix and the MIPSpro
compilers. Or Solaris and the Sparcworks compilers. Neither of these
OSes find it necessary to use names other than cc.

What are the chances, realistically, that FreeBSD will ever ship
with two C compilers in the base system?

--lyndon