Date:      Sun, 07 Feb 1999 23:01:54 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape 4.5 base64 encoding problem

Greg Black wrote:

> > > Seriously, netscape is barely useful in its real role as a web
> > > browser and is completely unsuited to taking on other tasks on
> > > top of that.  Why "struggle" with it when Unix systems have a
> > > plethora of *good* mail user agents, all of which allow you to
> > > use the editor of your choice to do the serious part of the job
> > > while providing a range of configurable options to control the
> > > way the mail is handled.
> >
> > I agree with you Greg, but can you offer a solution to this?
> >
> > Out of necessity my machine triple boots W95/NT4/FreeBSD 2.2.8. I'm
> > looking for a system whereby I can have common mail boxes/folders
> > (stored on the FAT partition) that can be read/updated by a mailer in
> > all 3 OS's. Someone pointed me to a Windows version of pine, I tried it,
> > and was very impressed but it has the disadvantage that it can't handle
> > POP3 mail very well. It can only deal with it online. What I need is to
> > be able to d/l my mail to a local Inbox (in any of the 3 OS's) and read
> > it off-line.
> >
> > Netscape is the closest I've found to what I'm looking for, both Windows
> > and Unix versions can read thesame mail files but the Unix version
> > doesn't work too well with the Windows mail files (e.g. I can delete a
> > message in FreeBSD, but in Windows it's still there :-( ).
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Sure, but you may not like them.  First, nobody has to use
> Microsoft OSes.  I choose not to use them, so I have no
> suggestions that would accommodate the idea of running three
> OSes on one machine.  One of the many reasons that I don't use
> MS OSes is because that company wants to control how I do things
> and I prefer to manage that for myself -- easy with Unix.
>
> However, if there was some reason for me to have a box with W95
> and/or NT4 on it, I would also have at least one FreeBSD box,
> since an old 486-33 with 8 MB of RAM and 130 MB of disk will do
> that just fine and those things are being thrown away by people
> who need supercomputers to run the latest rubbish from Redmond.
> I would use the 486 as my Internet gateway/firewall/etc and I'd
> hook it up to my home LAN, to which all my other actual working
> machines would be connected.  All of a sudden, it's trivial to
> use Unix for everything that it should be used for ...

Unfortunately I _have_ to have the 3 OS's on one machine. I simply don't
have house space for another :-(. I need NT for my work, 95 for the wife
and kids (so they don't trash anything important) and FreeBSD because I
want it.

> The rest of this solution is self-evident, so I won't bore
> everybody with it here.

Yeah, I know. I've finally got the message ;-) I've installed mutt and
am now trying to figure out how to setup sendmail. So from now on I'll
do all my e-mail in FreeBSD, just have to put up with lots of re-boots.

--
  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.