Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 1997 14:21:36 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@tri-lakes.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Problems with 16650 UARTs

On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Chris Dillon wrote:

> On 06-Sep-97 Andrew Gordon wrote:
> > [16650 problems]
>
> Bingo... I have been plagued with this same problem for some time, but
> thought it was just my lousy, clueless ISP at the root of it all (uses NT
> of all things... and Telebit Netblazer term servers. Are those any good?).
>
> I run 2.2-STABLE (recently cvsupped and made world) with userland ppp on an
> internal USR Sportster 33k6 with the port locked at 115200 using hardware
> flow control. I can be chatting on IRC, browsing web pages, and downloading
> some mail when all incoming data comes to a halt (even sometimes when just
> doing nothing).  The only fix seems to be to kill the ppp session and dial
> in again (I usually just 'quit' and then run userland ppp all over again).
> I know that outgoing packets still work because anything I type in an IRC
> channel makes it out into the world.. I just don't get anything back.

I don't think your problem is related to what I am seeing.  My problem
only appears with 16_6_50 UARTs, which your Sportster internal is unlikely
to have; also, my problem is so severe that you would probably consider
your ISP connection unusable if you had the same problem.

I think your first diagnosis (flaky ISP) was probably correct.