Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 2003 08:57:18 -0000
From:      "Kjell Midtseter" <la3sg@sensewave.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Windows login to Samba share

--Message-Boundary-3009

On my Samba server I have 3 shares that I want to acces from other
machines. When I start up my Windows 2000 PC it connects to the
web and syvert shares, but when it comes to the public share I get the
following:
Incorrect password or user name for \\Syvert\public
You last connected to this computer as: TOVE\syvert
Password: (here I enter 'syvert' as password)

web and syvert are name of accounts on the samba server.

Does W2k use some configuration or is some trimming of my smb.conf
file required? Part of my smb.conf file:

[global]
   workgroup = KMNET
	netbios name = SYVERT
   os level = 64
   preferred master = Yes
	local master = yes
	domain master = yes
	security = share
   encrypt passwords = Yes
	domain logons = yes
   guest account = smbuser
###
(irelevants removed: full smb.conf attached)
###

[public]
        comment = Syvert's public folder
        path = /music
        writeable = Yes
        create mask = 0664
        directory mask = 0775
        guest ok = Yes
      	hide dot files = yes

[web]
	comment = Syvert's web folder
	path = /home/www/htdocs
	writeable = Yes
#  valid users = web
   guest ok = Yes

[syvert]
	comment = Syvert's folder
	path = /home/syvert/samba
	writeable = Yes
#	valid users = syvert
   guest ok = Yes

Regards from Kjell

--Message-Boundary-3009

# Samba config file

# Whenever you modify this file you should run the command "testparm"
# to check that you have not made any basic syntactic errors.

# To restart samba:
# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/samba.sh stop
# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/samba.sh start

# #### Start Global parameters ================
[global]

# #### Basic server settings
# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
        workgroup = KMNET
# netbios name = host name
	netbios name = SYVERT
# Fully Qualified Domain Name becomes SYVERT.LA3SG.NET

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
        server string = Syvert's Samba Server %v

# Most people will find that this option gives better performance.
# See speed.txt and the manual pages for details
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
# #### =============================

# #### Browser Control Settings
# OS Level determines the precedence of this server in master browser
# elections. The default value should be reasonable
        os level = 64

# Preferred Master causes Samba to force a local browser election on startup
# and gives it a slightly higher chance of winning the election
        preferred master = Yes

# set local master to no if you don't want Samba to become a master
# browser on your network. Otherwise the normal election rules apply
	local master = yes

# Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser.
# This allows Samba to collate browse lists between subnets.
# Don't use this if you already have a Windows NT domain controller doing this job.
	domain master = yes
# #### ====================

# #### Security and Logging Settings
# Security mode.
# Most people will want user level security.
# See security_level.txt for details.

#       security = user
#       Win98se setup as follows:
#       Network -> Primary Network Logon -> Client for Microsoft Networks
#       Network -> Client for Microsoft Network/Properties ->
#                  Check Logon to Windows NT domain
#       Log in to win98 as user syvert and with syvert's password
#       Fill in Windows NT domain: (la3sg.net)

	security = share        #this is the easy way...
#       The win98se old setup was as follows:
#       Network -> Primary Network Logon -> Microsoft Family Logon
#       Network -> Client for Microsoft Network/Properties ->
#                  Uncheck Logon to Windows NT domain

# You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
# ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation.
# Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
        encrypt passwords = Yes

# Support domain logons on this machine
	domain logons = yes

# Tell Samba to use a separate log file for each machine that connects
        log file = /var/log/sambalog.%m

# Verbosity of the information logged on a scale of 1 to 10.
# Log level >3 will collect lots of data and slow down performance.
	log level = 2

# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
        max log size = 50

# This option is important for security. It allows you to restrict
# connections to machines which are on your local network. The
# following example restricts access to two C class networks and
# the "loopback" interface. For more examples of the syntax see
# the smb.conf man page
	hosts allow = 127. 192.168.1.
# #### ==================================================

# #### Start Global Printer Section =====================
# If you want to automatically load your printer list rather
# than setting them up individually then you'll need this
   load printers = yes

# you may wish to override the location of the printcap file
;   printcap name = /etc/printcap

# It should not be necessary to specify the print system type unless
# it is non-standard. Currently supported print systems include:
# bsd, sysv, plp, lprng, aix, hpux, qnx
;   printing = bsd

# Set minimum printing space to 2 megabytes
min print space = 2000

# print command to send data to the printer and remove a temporary file
print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P%p -r %s
# #### ==================================================

# Uncomment this if you want a guest account, you must add this to /etc/passwd
# otherwise the user "nobody" is used
        guest account = smbuser

# Using the following line enables you to customise your configuration
# on a per machine basis. The %m gets replaced with the netbios name
# of the machine that is connecting
;   include = /usr/local/etc/smb.conf.%m

# Configure Samba to use multiple interfaces
# If you have multiple network interfaces then you must list them
# here. See the man page for details.
##        interfaces = 192.168.1.7/24 127.0.0.1/24
##	bind interfaces only = Yes

# Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
# ==============================================
# WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable it's WINS Server
;   wins support = yes
	wins support = Yes

# WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
#	Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT both
;   wins server = w.x.y.z

# WINS Proxy - Tells Samba to answer name resolution queries on
# behalf of a non WINS capable client, for this to work there must be
# at least one	WINS Server on the network. The default is NO.
;   wins proxy = yes

# DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS names
# via DNS nslookups. The built-in default for versions 1.9.17 is yes,
# this has been changed in version 1.9.18 to no.
   dns proxy = no

# Client codepage settings
# ========================
# for European users (Latin 1)
	client code page=850

# ==================
# not in distro file
##        time server = Yes
#        hide dot files = No
        hide dot files = yes

### END Global section ##########################

# #### START Shares section #########################

#[homes]
#	comment = Home Directories
#	browseable = no
#	writeable = yes

[public]
        comment = Syvert's public folder
        path = /music
        writeable = Yes
        create mask = 0664
        directory mask = 0775
        guest ok = Yes
	hide dot files = yes

[web]
	comment = Syvert's web folder
	path = /home/www/htdocs
	writeable = Yes
#       valid users = web
        guest ok = Yes

[syvert]
	comment = Syvert's folder
	path = /home/syvert/samba
	writeable = Yes
#	valid users = syvert
        guest ok = Yes

#[tove]
#       comment = Tove's folder
#       path = /home/smbshares/tove
#       valid users = tove
#       writeable = Yes

#[trine]
#       comment = Trine's folder
#       path = /home/trine
#       valid users = trine
#       writeable = Yes

#[data]
#       comment = Data
#       path = /home/samba/data
#       writeable = Yes
#       create mask = 0660
#       directory mask = 0770
#       guest ok = Yes

# #### END Shares section #########################

# #### START Printers section #####################

[printers]
        comment = Syvert's Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
#	print ok = Yes
        browseable = No

#	path = /usr/spool/public
	printable = true
	guest ok = true
#	guest account = pcguest

#[lp]
#        comment = local Samsung ML-1210 Laser printer
#        path = /var/spool/samba
#        read only = No
#        print ok = Yes
#        print command = /usr/bin/lpr -s -Plp -r %s
#        printer name = lp
#        oplocks = No
#        share modes = No

# #### END Printers section #######################

--Message-Boundary-3009--