Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 2002 08:50:38 -0600
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        "R. Zoontjens" <richard@radecom.nl>, "Ruben de Groot" <fbsd-q@bzerk.org>, "Mark" <admin@asarian-host.net>
Cc:        "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: restore question

At 10:33 AM 11.15.2002 +0100, R. Zoontjens wrote:
>Ruben de Groot wrote:
>
>>The traditional way to backup and restore filesystems in Unix has allways
>>been dump(8) and restore(8).
>
>I use dump/restore for my filesystem backups (I use a tar-script for my
>userfiles because of platform-portability)
>
>The only problem I have is that I cannot boot with a live-cd or fixit floppy
>that has my ATA tape driver and my raid-driver. When I try to make a MINI
>kernel to create a custom boot disk, it won'f fit on the floppy...
>
>I posted my MINI kernel yesterday.
>
>---
>Met vriendelijke groet / with kind regards,
>
>R.J. Zoontjens

Hard disks, at least IDEs are really inexpensive. Why not just keep a
second or third HD on your machine(s) to do backups.....?? You've got the
whole thing that way and in a crisis, you can be up and running on the
backup HD only as long as it takes to shutdown, flip cables and
reboot...just a few mins....

Tape is traditional, but slow and never as up to date as my backup HDs
which I keep on each server. Also, move a copy of the dump files to a
server that just holds backups for other machines.... then I can always
restore to any HD of choice just in case of extreme breakdown (a crash in
middle of a backup/restore to the backup HD for instance). Again, I can be
back up and running within minutes, even with a substitute server. I have
Internet connection cable already running over for standby on an emergency
server just in case. All I have to do is restore on the slave backup
machine... then take the HD to the backup server... plug in the cable and
voila! ...up and running with very little loss of time or data.

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator

SageOne Net